Monday, January 18, 2010

Baby squirrel out of nest. Should I rescue it?

The mom is up in the tree fixing her nest. She has another baby in its mouth. I am wondering if she kicked it out of the nest or if she took it out to fix it. I don't know a whole lot about wildlife. I am afraid to touch it because if the mom has plans of getting it off the ground I don't want her to neglect it because of me. The baby is lying there crying. Its heartbreaking. What should I do?Baby squirrel out of nest. Should I rescue it?
Watch from a long distance. If the baby is there for a long time, like after the mother is finished with the nest or when it starts to get dark, take the baby and keep it in a warm place until you can bring it to a wildlife rehabilitation centre, or read up on everything you can possibly find about squirrels, get any equipment you may need and do it yourself. (probably the route I would go for, as no one cares for animals much around here, and I don't trust them anyway, thats just me.)





This reminds me of those nature shows where a lion cub might be starving to death and they just watch it die because they don't want to ';interfere';. It makes me sick, because humans have already interefered with nature so much that lions and other animals are rare or inbred in some places, but if they just had the sense to take the cub to a wild park and raise it, they would be helping the future of the animal.





Anyway, a little off track there, but I wish you and the baby the greatest success.





Good luck!Baby squirrel out of nest. Should I rescue it?
try and save the baby squirrel
Don't touch it or it will die. FYI it is just a rat with a long tail.
Are you outside beside the tree? If you are, you are most likely preventing the mom from coming down to rescue the baby because she is afraid of you. I would monitor the baby for about 20-30 minutes through a window. If the mom does come down to get the baby, yay. If not, save it.





Good luck.
Yes try to save it.
watch but don't touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment