Monday, January 18, 2010

Tell me about gray grey squirrels about their litters/babies and nest?

Tell me all you know on the gray squirrel I am in the midwest. It's a gray color not red. We have a nest on our backyard tree, they always come back to it each year, that or it's different squirrels I don't know much about them. Please don't tell me they're annucense, we only have these 2 in our backyard.





They built their new nest about a week ago.


There are 2 squirrels.





Can you tell me about when they have their babies, how long the babies stay in the nest and more information.





I saw the babies last year when they were pretty small.





Thanks allTell me about gray grey squirrels about their litters/babies and nest?
Gray Squirrels, Red Fox Squirrels %26amp; Black Squirrels are all the same! Just different color phases! They will %26amp; do interbreed. The small red squirrels in the midwest are different species than their larger cousins.





The nest is just a woven mass of leaves %26amp; twigs and is only used 1 season.





If you are in the Midwest the squirrels are probably breeding now- early April. The pups are born about 5 weeks after breeding.





More than 1 litter a year is common.





Mom raises the kids with no help from Dad.





Pups should be out of the nest within 30 to 40 days. Watch %26amp; you'll see Mom teaching them what to forage for.





If you want to feed these squirrels- peanuts, cob corn, popcorn, sunflower seeds are good choices. If your area doesn't have water available for them close by a pan of water (birdbath) is good.





Squirrels do not hibernate, but only go into a semi-hibernation state. Even in the middle of winter they are out on nice days.





They will store food for winter use! Acorns are a favorite. Pinecones also- they shred cones to get at the pine nuts inside.





Their major predators are cats, hawks, %26amp; owls.Tell me about gray grey squirrels about their litters/babies and nest?
Here is a good website that I visit with my youngest child from time to time:





http://www.squirrels.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment