Saturday, January 16, 2010

Will a mother robin abandon her nest of eggs after a squirrel was there and stole one?

I have a robins nest in the back yard atop of a pole. The other morning I heard the mother shreiking and I ran out to see a squirrel nibbling one of her eggs. I tried to scare him away but he took off with the egg. The mother robin fell off after him. I kept my dogs out to dicourage the squirrel from coming back and now the mother robin has not come back i 2 days. At least I haven't seen her. Before I would see her sveral times a day. My questions are: would she abandon the reamining 2 eggs in the nest? Can these eggs hatch without her? What should I do if they hatch and she hasn't come back. Any help would be appreciatedWill a mother robin abandon her nest of eggs after a squirrel was there and stole one?
The squirrel now knows where the nest is and will likely come back for the other eggs as well. The mother robin may have figured this out and has abandoned the nest, and will build elsewhere and try again. No, the eggs will not hatch..they need to be kept at very specific temperatures and if she has been gone for 2 days, the eggs would have become too cold and died.Will a mother robin abandon her nest of eggs after a squirrel was there and stole one?
yes birds do abandon their nest most of the time if something touches it and gets their sent in it
You need to contact your nearest animal rescue center or bird charity for advice. Search online for the ones near you. The other thing you could do is go into a vet's and see what they can advise.

No comments:

Post a Comment